Next Review Date: May 2016
Here at St. George’s C E Primary School we are aware that we have a general duty under the Equality Act 2010 to:
- Eliminate discrimination, harassment, victimisation and any other conduct that is prohibited by or under this Act
- Advance equality of opportunity between persons who share a relevant protected characteristic and persons who do not share it
- Foster good relations between persons who share a protected characteristic and persons who do not share it.
With this in mind this Accessibility Plan has been drawn up in consultation with the Local Authority, pupils, parents, staff and governors of the school and covers the period from April 2012 – March 2015.
We are committed to providing a fully accessible environment which values and includes all pupils, staff, parents and visitors regardless of their age, education, physical, sensory, social, spiritual, emotional and cultural needs. We are committed to challenging negative attitudes about disability and accessibility and to developing a culture of awareness, tolerance and inclusion.
The Accessibility Plan will contain relevant actions to:
- Improved awareness of Equality and Inclusion.
- Improve access to the physical environment of the school, adding specialist facilities as necessary. This covers improvements to the physical environment of the school and physical aids to access education.
- Increase access to the curriculum for pupils with a disability, expanding the curriculum as necessary to ensure that pupils with a disability areas, equally, prepared for life as are the able-bodied pupils; (If a school fails to do this they are in breach of the Equality Act 2010). This covers teaching and learning and the wider curriculum of the school such as participation in after-school clubs, leisure and cultural activities or school visits. It also covers the provision of specialist aids and equipment, which may assist these pupils in accessing the curriculum.
- Improve the delivery of written information to pupils, staff, parents and visitors with disabilities. Examples might include hand-outs, timetables, textbooks and information about the school and school events.
- The information should be made available in various preferred formats within a reasonable time frame
The future planned action work will be overseen and co-ordinated by the governors’ premises sub-committee, the curriculum sub-committee, and by the deputy head teacher.
The plan will be made available on request.
Evaluation of the progress of the plan will be made by the governing body through an annual report by the relevant sub-committees.
The advice and support of the Local Authority will be sought in implementing the plan and in the development of any capital related work at St. George’s C E Primary School.
- Reviewed: May 2013
- Next Review Date: May 2016
- Member of staff responsible: Mr. D. Jones, Headteacher
- Governor responsible: Chairman of Governors
- Committee responsible: Governors’ Buildings, Safety & Security Committee
Download as PDF